Importance of In-Line Inspection
CURRENT INSPECTION METHOD
- External Corrosion Direct Assessment (ECDA): visual, exterior inspection of the pipe for corrosion and damage through multiple excavations over the top of the pipe along the route.
- Remote system monitoring 24/7, 365 days a year from a centralized location.
UTILIZING IN-LINE INSPECTION
- When smart pig travels through the pipe it collects data of its condition such as pipeline thickness and abnormalities such as dents or gauges.
- Technical analysts will review this data and make recommendations for maintenance or repairs as necessary.
- Continued remote system monitoring 24/7, 365 days a year from a centralized location.
How the Natural Gas Distribution System Works
The Lowell Area Gas Modernization Project (LAGMP) is the standardization of the gas main in Lowell which serves only to transport gas locally as part of the Lowell area distribution system. The portion of main that is being replaced as part of this project does not transport natural gas interstate. National Grid is a Local Distribution Company (LDC) that delivers natural gas to the end user. This image illustrates a typical LDC’s infrastructure and how natural gas is delivered to its customers.